Plan of Work
Our plan of work is a 1 year plan covering 2017-2018. This plan was adopted by the Executive Committee on November 28, 2017 and is reviewed annually. The Plan of Work drives everything we do.
Chair Elect & Organizational Advancement
Purpose: Plan for the future of the organization by anticipating representation, structure and resource needs before they occur.
Objective 1: Launch the 14 Forward Campaign
- Obtain IRS 501 c (3) Tax Exempt Status.
- Expand the GKCC Bylaws to add a number of Foundation directors.
- Populate the Foundation Board of Directors.
- Develop a letter of agreement that states the terms and conditions through which GKCC provides and is paid back for start-up funding by the Foundation.
- Amend GKCC Plan of Work to include campaign strategies & tactics.
- Develop a budget to support campaign activities.
- Develop a Policy Manual for the Foundation.
- Develop a plan to create office space to support the campaign.
- Write job descriptions for new hires and rewrite job descriptions for current employees to support campaign activities.
- Advertise new positions and hire new personnel.
- Modify reporting and communication system to include campaign activities.
- Schedule and organize Foundation meetings.
Objective 2: Lead strategic planning.
Objective 3: Chair Governance Activities.
- Recommend changes to the Bylaws.
- Evaluate board structure, composition and qualifications for membership.
- Nominate members to serve as directors.
- Evaluate current board member participation and willingness to continue to serve prior to re-election. Identify, nominate and orient new board members.
Objective 4: Maintain a formal organization structure.
- Conduct a detailed orientation session for each new GKCC board member and KEDC member.
- Maintain and update manuals for GKCC and KEDC and make them available to members and others who request them.
Objective 5: Develop the staff.
- Organize and conduct an annual retreat.
- Provide specialized training for staff based on need.
Fort Hood Military Relations
Purpose: To collaborate with others to ensure that Fort Hood is fully utilized.
Objective 1: Promote the importance and sustainability of Fort Hood and defenserelated industries. Take advantage of opportunities to expand Fort Hood.
- Participate in Association of Defense Communities events to gather intelligence.
- Work with allies, including the Heart of Texas Defense Alliance, to prepare for a possible future Base Realignment and Closure process.
- Brief Fort Hood, U.S. Army and Department of Defense leaders on relevant community issues.
Objective 2: Build on the strong relationship between the community and Fort Hood, the U.S. Army and the Department of Defense.
- Operate the Military Relations Council to include these activities:
- Organize and lead strategic trips to the U.S. Army’s National Training Center;
- Conduct annual social for senior officers and sergeants major;
- Provide an AUSA scholarship;
- Participate in Hood Howdy two times per year;
- Organize luncheons featuring unit commanders; and,
- Provide counseling for the Warriors in Transition, the Chamber’s adopted unit, through the Business Resource Center.
- Support Central Texas AUSA Chapter’s activities.
- Advise and support the Mounted Warfare Foundation and the National Museum of Mounted Warfare and Soldier Center.
- Attend functions as invited included, but not limited to:
- Civic Leader Briefings;
- Welcome & Farewell receptions for general officers, command sergeants major and spouses;
- Recognition Ceremonies;
- Change-of-Command and Color-Casing Ceremonies; and,
- Fort Hood Good Neighbor events.
Purpose: Focus on Investors. Create value for them.
Objective 1: Allocate resources to deliver value, as defined by investors, to investors through a Tiered Dues structure that offers investors choices.
- Develop and offer products and services to investors.
- Data services
- Opportunities to Connect
- Segment investors to provide unique value based on their needs through the creation and operation of councils.
- Leadership Councils
- Public Policy
- Military Relations;
- Information Technology; and
- Defense Contractors (assigned to the Foundation).
- Business Councils
- Retail Managers Council
- Non-profit Council
- Welcome Council
- Public Education Council
- Leadership Councils
Objective 2: Implement a Membership Plan.
- Frequently touch and provide value to investors through these and other activities: Ribbon-cuttings; ground breakings; goodwill calls, new member orientation, mixers; events where investors can exhibit and the public can view and sample products and services, and business enhancement seminars, sales and goodwill calls.
- Document and grow the membership investment, through the recruitment of new members and the retention of current members, by a net increase of 10%.
- Document and achieve a retention rate of 85%.
Purpose: Enhance our Revenue Stream. Create financial sustainability.
Objective 3: Organize an annual banquet/meeting to celebrate accomplishments.
- Recognize award winners.
- Provide a message of value to investors.
Objective 4: Create new sources of non-dues revenue.
- Print publications in house to improve content and to provide visibility for investors through sponsorships and advertising opportunities.
- Use the website to generate revenue through sponsorships and advertising.
- Offer E-mail sponsorships for investors to share their message.
- Grow Leadercast, and similar professional development programs. Collaborate with surrounding communities to bring these programs to a larger number of people.
- Conduct Flavors of Central Texas.
Purpose: Focus on programs that will lead to the creation and recruitment of jobs with competitive wages in the service, manufacturing and retail sectors.
Objective 1: Create an environment for the growth of new businesses through entrepreneurial endeavors.
- Continue to fund and utilize the Business Resource Center to offer small business and entrepreneur counseling and training.
Objective 2: Conduct a business recruitment program.
2. A. Attract new retail business to the community.
- Exhibit at the Annual International Council of Shopping Center Conference and other venues.
- Produce a Retail Leakage Report every other year.
2. B. Attract new commercial/industrial business to the community.
- Identify prospects for which our community qualifies from the following sources:
- marketing to companies through Grand Central Texas, a regional collaboration, to reduce costs;
- relationships with site location consultants; and,
- the Governor’s Office of Economic Development.
- Develop customized proposals to address the criteria set forth by prospects.
- Organize and host prospect visits to the community.
- Analyze data and prepare recommendations.
- Work with a negotiating team to evaluate and create incentive proposals.
- Prepare Offer Letters and collaborate with attorneys to prepare Development/Performance Agreements.
- Present projects to political subdivisions so that decisions can be made.
Objective 3: Provide staff support for KEDC.
- Organize meetings.
- Prepare and post agendas.
- Initiate and coordinate annual audits/financial reviews.
- Keep financials.
- Keep KEDC manuals current.
- Supervise and maintain KEDC property.
- Market and keep the Killeen Business Park competitive.
- Keep the KEDC website up to date.
Objective 4: Provide staff support for KIF.
- Organize meetings.
- Initiate and coordinate annual audits/financial reviews.
Purpose: Become the voice of business.
Purpose: Create legislative support for the successful implementation of each of our priorities.
Objective 1: Operate a Public Policy Council to address issues impacting business, transportation, education/workforce, and the military and to grow and nurture appropriate relationships to build trust.
- Develop, keep current, and act on a public policy agenda to address key issues at the local, state and federal levels.
- Organize community events for federal and state officials to build support for Fort Hood, TAMUCT and for other community needs.
- Maintain a strong relationship with the legislative delegation so as to be able to effectively pursue the legislative agenda.
- Engage and coordinate with Fort Hood.
- Cause members to become active on issues affecting business at the state and federal levels.
Purpose: Reach Out in Killeen and Bell County
Objective 2: Think regionally. Act locally.
Collaborate with others outside the community to focus on opportunities and challenges.
- Help lead the Bell/ Williamson Counties Chamber and EDC quarterly meetings.
Purpose: Tell Our Story
Objective 1: Implement a comprehensive communications plan. The plan will provide professional, timely, and accurate content in various forms.
- Publish email newsletters for investors, prospects and members.
- Use social media to increase our effectiveness and reach.
Objective 2: Develop, maintain, and promote a meaningful, user-friendly chamber website.
- Continually add content to our websites to meet the information needs of investors and the general public.
Objective 3: Proactively reach out to the media.
- Participate in media interviews as needed.
- Keep an up-to-date media kit for distribution.
Objective 4: Ensure that there is a formal reporting system in place.
- Post the Plan of Work on our website.
- Provide monthly reports electronically to board of directors, city councils, KEDC and KIF.
- Post monthly reports on the website.
- Give oral reports as requested.
Talent Development & Place Design
Purpose: Cause business to collaborate with educational institutions to improve the student product and support schools.
Objective 1: Collaborate and support efforts to implement business-education partnership with educational institutions. Support schools through the Public Education Council.
- New Teacher’s Showcase
- Wooden Nickel Store
- The Closet
- Mentoring Program.
Purpose: Develop and engage Young Professionals.
Objective 2: Work with the GKYP Executive Committee to develop a unique and need satisfying program of work and activities.
Purpose: Develop community leaders for the future.
Objective 3: Operate Leadership Killeen to enhance the skills of future community and business leaders to provide value to participants and sponsors.
- Identify and recruit emerging community leaders.
- Keep the curriculum relevant.
Purpose: Work with stakeholders to proactively create a sense of place attractive to creative, innovative talent.
Objective 4: Develop and implement a work plan to:
1) launch and sustain a mural program; and,
2) advise the city staff in developing a Comprehensive Plan, especially the chapter on Economic Development.